Monday, April 20, 2009

You Say Tomayto, I Say Tomahto

We use some terms interchangibly in our household.

Cup, Glass

Cupboard, Counter

TV, Television

PB&J, Peanutbutter & Jelly

It's the last one that's confused my three-year-old.

On the way home from the farm Saturday, we were discussing lunch. Cupie said she wanted peanutbutter & jelly for lunch. Sounded agreeable to me, but I had to check with Stinkles. The child would eat chicken nuggets for every meal if I let her. If I didn't check, I could be in store for a royal tantrum.

My question to Stinkles was, "Stinkles, do you want peanutbutter & jelly for lunch?"

By the grace of God, she agreed.

Okay, so I get out the bread, jelly, peanutbutter & two identical plates (can't have different designs or that sets off an entire different tantrum - you have to pick your battles).

After making two identical sandwiches, I set one in front of Stinkles and said, "Here's your PB&J."

Tears formed and she said, "But I don't like PB&J, I want peanutbutter & jelly."

So I gave her the other plate (identical to the first) and said, "Sorry, Honey. Here's your peanutbutter & jelly."

She ate it without question.

What the hell? She saw me make the same sandwich!!! How can she like one, but not the other?

For the first time, I understand what my husband means about not understanding a woman's mind.

Whatever!

Silver Lining:
1. As long as we refer to the sandwich given to Stinkles as peanutbutter & jelly and the sandwich given to Cupie as PB&J, we don't get any tantrums.
2. The child will eat something other than chicken nuggets - which is good because we're out.

10 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Mark Kreider said...

This story is a laugh riot! You've sure got the mommy smarts!

Lillian Robinson said...

Granddaughter #3 doesn't like eggs... except for the ones that come from one particular hen! She thinks they are delicious. So when I make her eggs, I open the carton and point, "and this one here, oh yeah, and that one..." Then she eats them!

Pollyanna said...

Being a mommy is an everchanging, forever evolving role. I just hope I'm ablt to minimize the "scarred for life" moments :)

Jenn said...

This is a great post...I am glad it worked for you!! I've tried that before on some of mine...sometimes I am lucky, sometimes not. For example...my kids love it when we can treat ourselves to steak. Well, the other day we bought pork chops and called it "white steak". It worked on them this time. ;-)

Cheers, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Love it....those quirky girls!

Jen

The Mom said...

What can I say? ; "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". And you can forget about the "scarred for life" moments - no matter what you do the kids will ALWAYS blame you for the way they turned out:):):):)

I know this how? I have two of my own-

God Bless my grandchildren-their soooooo darn cute:):):) Cupie and Stinkles, Grandma loves you:)

Jan said...

You are sooo right. We have to pick our battle to compromise with our kids. I only have one now, but it seems we disagree almost on everything. I want it my way, and she wants it her way ... what to do? what to do? Thanks for the story. It surely gave me some insights.

Afternoon Tea Break said...

That's so funny. And smart thinking on your part to just swap the plates!

jb said...

Great post just cracked me up. Thank-you for following my blog its greatly appreciated. I like your blog...good mommy skills. I like the break down;

Cup, Glass

Cupboard, Counter

TV, Television

PB&J, Peanutbutter & Jelly

Awesome way of keeping it all together.

Huggs
JB

Anonymous said...

That was great!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin