Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Marching to the Beat of Your Own Drummer

As I was driving in to work today, I observed a woman walking. She was in her walking “gear” – t-shirt, shorts, tennies, IPOD. As she was walking, I could see her arms were a flappin’. Then, I saw her head grovin’. She was totally into what ever was on her IPOD, in her own world, power-walking to the beat of some kind of drummer.

I had to giggle to myself because as an outsider, she looked quite ridiculous. I think it’s funny when I bust people doing this in their cars too. I hate it when it happens to me though. Even worse, is if you get busted for speeding while you’re doing it.

This is exactly what happened to my mom many years ago.

We were driving from Mid-America to Florida. Mom had a conference and Sissy & I were going to Disney World! (I’m groovin’ in my chair to that “Goin’ to Disney World” song right now.)

It was Mom’s turn to drive and the driver gets to pick the music – that’s the universal rule for road trips. At the time, her favorite tunes were on the soundtrack to “Phantom of the Opera”. She knew every word, every crescendo. The crescendo is what got her in to trouble.

Song four – “The Phantom of the Opera” – has the lead actress singing couple of measures that kept getting louder and higher in octave each time they were repeated. Mom, envisioning herself as this character, sang right along. With every crescendo, her foot got a little heavier on the gas.

Head tipped back a bit (so she could project) and swaying a bit with each note, she sang and sped her way right past a State Trooper.

Sissy & I saw him as soon as she sped past, but this was too late. He saw us too.

In Macon County Georgia, Officer Slappy (yes, you read the name correctly) pulled my mom over and wrote her a ticket for speeding. Apparently, he wasn’t a fan of “The Phantom of the Opera”.

Silver lining:
1. After all the lectures before the trip about not speeding, Mom was the one busted, not Sissy & I.

2. Mom still likes “The Phantom”, I still like “The Phantom” and my five year old has just discovered “The Phantom” – cool, huh?

9 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Anonymous said...

That is to funny! There are just so many things one can be caught doing in a car that they dont think no one else will notice them doing! This happens daily as I drive up 270 to work! - Danny

Anonymous said...

Yes, the MEMORIES!! Mom harped on us the whole trip, "if you speed and get a ticket, your responsibility.” Funny how life worked out that day. Mom was soooo upset, she had to pull over at a rest area and call her insurance company and the phone numbers on the back of the ticket to find out what she had to do. She was a nervous wreck. That was her 1st ever-speeding ticket and her last. I guess Officer SLAPPY really slapped her hard- LOL. I believe she was going 86 in a 65 if my memory serves me right. Or on the other hand, maybe that's just one of the many speeding tickets I have received. LOL

LOVE SISSY

Pollyanna said...

I can't believe you remember that - 86 in a 65!!

Can you believe that was almost 15 years ago!!!!!!!

No peeps from Mom yet, think she's mad?

Ziggy Stardust said...

I love Phantom and Officer Slappy has probably had a lifetime of ridicule about his name and is now taking it out on the public. I hope you had fun in Florida.

Anne

SquirrelQueen said...

I suppose with a name like Officer Slappy you wouldn't have much of a sense of humor. I think it is way too funny but then if that's the only speeding ticket she ever got I guess she learned a valuable lesson.
Way too funny.

Lillian Robinson said...

I don't know if it was Slappy or not, but my ex got busted by one of those GA state boys... I remember him saying, "Well, MRxxxx, I don't know how you all drive in Ohio, but down here..."

I'm a chair dancer. You'll catch me trying to embarrass my passengers at red lights! Just don't let me catch you picking your nose!

The Mom said...

PEEPS, you WANT PEEPS -well here they are: THAT was one of the greatest time with my girls! They laughed so hard after I got the ticket! We took a trip on the "wild side" which they didn't even know thier mother was capable of. You know, having to be the mom and all can sometimes be a drag! I remember sissy grabbing her notebook so she could write her boyfriend about how her mother got busted. We all laughed so hard. I'm so glad the Phantom music still lingers in our family. This is a story we will laugh at forever.

Ah, Officer Slappy scared me yes, but my biggest fear wasn't the ticket as much as the vision of me working with chain gangs in Macon, GA!!!!!!!

I didn't really learn a lesson from Officer SLAPPY (I still listen to Phantom while drive and yes make all the head bobbing moves, but with less foot pressure on the pedal).

MY speeding during the trip wasn't as exciting as when we went to Universal Studio's and I got on the ride "Back to the Future"! Where was the Officer on that road! WHAT A MESS!! I will let our little "laughing idiot" tell you about that one another time.

And yes, it was 86 in a 65- but there wasn't any traffic, so I don't see what the big deal was all about.............I wonder if Officer Slappy is still laying in wait for me???"):):)

Love you guys- thanks for the laugh this morning, I really needed it.

Unknown said...

That is too funny...I can totally picture the scene

tracy

anymommy said...

Fantastic. I love Phantom and I know exactly which song you are talking about!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin