I can be a good doobey.
I turn the water off while I'm brushing my teeth.
I let in as much natural light as I can during the day.
I plan my errands so that I make a loop instead of a zig-zag, back & forth, curli-que, jacked-up route.
I put cardboard in the recycle bin.
It's that last one that's tricky though.
In our house, there are a few simple steps to be taken in order to effectively (and safely) move cardboard to the recycle bin on the back patio:
- Gather cardboard near the back door.
- Break down/flatten cardboard boxes.
- Move cardboard directly into the recycle bin.
A very simple list indeed.
Three steps. Outlined neatly.
What happens when you skip a step?
Or worse, add a step?
is what happens when you fail to break down a box (step 2) and move the boxes from the back door area to the back porch instead of taking them directly to the recycle bin (step 3).
There is a reason there is no step 2a! Dorks like me catch their foot on the fully assembled box while trying to step over it onto a 12X12 clear space on the back porch.
I landed flat on my back at the bottom of those three little steps.
- I didn't break any bones! Not even a fracture, even though I'm sure I heard some weird crunching noises as I went down.
- Hubby & the kids were inside so they were able to come to my rescue. Stinkles even hooked me up with a band-aid on my elbow. Oddly, the abrasion on my leg never started bleeding - all that is under the skin. That said, my leg is now my greatest source of pain since something did penetrate and form an infection under the skin - yay!