Monday, June 1, 2009

The Mom

They say the memory is the first thing to go, but my mom has a plan to combat that.

First, she has a spreadsheet that has all her passwords in it. The spreadsheet itself is not password protected. Before you freak out, I'll let you know that it doesn't have any user names or websites on it. It's just a list. For this reason, this first part of the plan is not working so well because she has no idea which user name or website goes with each password.

Second, she has a print out of security questions and their answers that she carries around in her purse. Now, the list has some pretty obscure questions such as, "What is the birthday of your favorite boss?"

I understand want to keep this information written down. It's probably a date pulled from thin air. Who knows their favorite boss's birthday? I know my boss's birthday because the VP of Finance brings in bagels to commemorate the date. Except for the promise of breakfast, I have no real reason to remember this information.

However, the second part of her plan isn't working either. Once again, she doesn't know what website these obscure security questions belong to. You would think it would stick out in her mind because of the odd questions, but alas, it didn't.

Further proof that her password memory is going to pot is evidenced right here on this blog. You will note, her comments on this post are from Anonymous, but signed "The Mom".


Then, she gets hip and signs up for a Google account so she can be "The Mom" instead of anonymous. See this post on April 24th:


A mere week later, she has returned to Anonymous on this post:


She couldn't remember the password to her Google account!

It's probably on the non-password-protected list somewhere. Oh well, gotta love her!


Silver Lining:

1. She still remembers where she lives, where I live, and all our names.

2. She also remembers all the words to "The Phantom of the Opera" and belts them out while driving. She just forgets to take her foot off the gas petal when the music builds (she got a ticket for this at least once - that's another funny mom story).

3. It's the little quirks like this that make me love her so much.

13 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately how much I love you!!:):):):)

Are you telling me NO ONE out there has this same problem????
I thought my plan for remembering things in the future was secure with the method of a "spreadsheet".
I'll have to come up with a new plan.............

The computer world can be a bit scarry and this is why you won't see a blog site for me, nor a facebook, or my space - too much input for me to remember or want to remember.

I think my password for my google account is coming back to me. If this gets posted by THE MOM, than by goosh it's back! You see, the words only go a way for a little while and then they seem to come back:) Next week I could be back to being "annoymous" or it could happen today yet.

I just looked in my purse and the security questions aren't there! However, I may have forgotten which purse I have them in :(

Need a new plan for that also..hum.

PS - it didn't work-I'm back to "annonymous" :(

The MOM

The Mom said...

Maybe I was using the wrong "username" - see if this one does it. If it works, I'll write it down so I don't forget it later :):):):)

The Mom said...

I didn't write it down - so I'm trying again.

Pollyanna said...

STOP! You're scaring the children :)

Mark Kreider said...

I use computer "stickies", not very highly evolved, but I really can't imagine anyone caring about my stuff among all the millions of other people out here.

Ziggy Stardust said...

I have to write things down as well. Sometimes when the security question comes up I forgot how I put the answer. I always get "where did you meet your husband" I can't remember if I put the city or the place. Security questions drive me nuts. From one Mom to another its ok.

Lillian Robinson said...

OMG! I love your mom! She's funny! I'm her. I have one of those index card notebooks for the sites I seldom visit. I admire her. Lots of people just use the same password for everything!

Pollyanna said...

I personally have a password protected spreadsheet for all the websites & passwords.

But, I also keep a sticky note taped to the bottom of a drawer with all my computer/application passwords. They are written in pencil so I can just erase and write down the new pw - Heaven forbid I use another sticky note.

SquirrelQueen said...

Your mom is the greatest, I love her.

I have so many accounts, so many passwords and all different. I finally resorted to the sticky notes on a cork board behind my computer, I know I shouldn't. But my husband can't figure out my scribble code so I guess it's safe. LOL

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't remember all my usernames/passwords either! I have them written down as well.

NOT my fault. Every site I use has different username/password requirements, and then require me to change my passwords at different intervals.

It's a nightmare!!!

- Jan - said...

Your mom is just lovable!
I used to have different passwords for different accounts, but I'm through with that. Now I'm using the same password for all different emails, and has the same security question too, just for simplicity :)
I think I'm too lazy to remember, and I hate writing down passwords because, believe it or not, I usually end up losing the post-it note anyway LOL ...

Pollyanna said...

I love my mom too!

I love that I'm not the only person with stickies and secret notes pasted all over the place!

I love the is a little piece of paper taped to the inside of my tape dispenser (circa 1976) with a four digit number on it!

Just kidding about loving that last one, but I inherited the dispenser years ago from the person whom I replaced. I wonder how long it had been there?

Anonymous said...

I know this is not secure but I use the same password for everythign and when I change one I change them all...LOL I guess if you figure out one you can access all my crap and please make sure it looks better than if I typed it myself LOL.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin