Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Random Thanks

randomtuesday


Thanksgiving is a mere two days away. Am I prepared with a beautifully dressed turkey and a carefully crafted Christmas shopping list?

Nope.

I'm prepared to be totally random in things I'm thankful for.

  • I'm thankful this is my blog and I write the way I want to write without regards to all things grammatical. So I don't want to hear anything about the "ending with a preposition" thing I did just prior to starting the list.

  • I'm thankful I have a loving family.

  • I'm thankful for Swingline staplers. They really are superior. Red is even better, but no one has gotten me one of those for Christmas yet.

  • I'm thankful I and Hubby both have jobs this season.

  • I'm thankful to have a roof over our heads. Right now, we have the choice of two roofs considering I don't think our renters are going to buy our old house, let alone pay us rent for living there. Not really grateful for that situation, but it's better than having no roof over our heads.

  • I'm thankful the early settlers got over that whole "potatoes are poisonous" thing. Kind of ironic how the American over consumption of fried potatoes is now killing us with clogged arteries, but at least they aren't poisonous - that would sure be a downer on the fast food industry.

  • I'm thankful the turkey wasn't named the national bird as Benjamin Franklin wanted. We wouldn't be able to eat turkey on Thanksgiving! What would we have instead? Ham, chicken, burgers? Those all just seem so ordinary. Ducks or any other fowl are too small. Turkey is perfect!

  • I'm thankful for modern transportation. Did you know the Mayflower was only about 100' X 25'???? That's a smaller footprint than the end zone on a football field! If I want to travel across water, I have my options of a boat the size of three football fields or an airplane that's twice as long as the Mayflower and has these things called wings and engines.

  • I'm thankful the moderate temperatures of the summer have not yielded and icy fall. This weekend was gorgeous, no jacket required during the day. May not be quite as nice on Thursday, but at least we aren't looking at three feet of snow.

  • I'm thankful most of you don't see my every day dorkdomness. Like when I bite into a hot dog and ketchup squirts all over my shirt or how I sometimes snort when I laugh.

  • I'm thankful my kids don't care too terribly much when their jeans get a little hole in the knee. I haven't found any nifty patches, and replacing jeans for every little hole just seems wasteful.

  • I'm thankful I live in a country with an "official" start for the Christmas shopping season. Seriously, how does the rest of the world know when to have all their sales and go on major shopping benders for the holidays?

  • I'm thankful that there isn't anything I feel the need to buy that would require me to get up at 3AM in order to get in line before the store opens at 5am. Friday is going to be my mental health day - I'm even sending the kids to day care for at least half a day. Hubby, on the other hand, needs to go and get us a new rotating Christmas tree stand.

  • I'm thankful for the health I have.

  • I'm thankful for all of you readers. You make me feel good when ever you comment. At least I'm not talking to myself out here in blog land.


To visit all the other random thinkers, click on the pretty purple button above to visit them at The Un-Mom.

Silver Lining:
  1. Hubby does all the cooking for Thanksgiving so I really do get to relax and just deal with the pretty stuff (setting the table, decorating, etc).

  2. As of Friday, it will officially be OK to crank the Christmas music on my radio at work!

6 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

I am Harriet said...

You've got a lot to be thankful for :)

Have a great RTT!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/11/is-it-finally-over-will-jon-jump-off-of.html

plainolebob said...

I am so thankful that you post your blog, I am thankful for your hubby putting up with your antics instead of putting you on restriction from the blog too.
Polly, Happy thanks giving to you and yours.
BIG HUGS

rachel... said...

I prefer ham for any holiday and my kids actually PREFER to have holes in the knees of their jeans!

But I sometimes snort when I laugh, too! :)

Steph @ Steph Runs On said...

I was just talking about how grateful I was that Turkey wasn't the national bird! How awful would the day after Thanksgiving be without a yummy turkey sandwich to enjoy!

Sue said...

I'm really glad we don't have to get up at 3:00 a.m. too! Hubby doesn't cook, but since it is just us for the first time...we are having a pork loin, no big turkey mess for me this year!

Sue

Design It Chic said...

I prefer chicken to turkey.. i know I'm weird.. but turkey has a weird aftertaste.. anyway
And holes in the jeans are in-trend this year.. so rock those holes kids:)
Happy RTT!

* my Randomness is up too:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin