Thursday, July 1, 2010

There Isn't A Band-Aid Big Enough

As a parent, I want to shield my children from the ugly in the world.

Yesterday, I failed.

Last Thursday, Cupie came home all excited. She and some "friends" from daycare were going to perform a concert on Monday. She needed a microphone, a purse, sunglasses, and a scarf. Oh yah, and a PINK outfit.

That's a quick list - she was back from the playroom with everything but the outfit in about five minutes.

She trounced up to her room picked out a pink skirt and a striped shirt and put them in reserve for Monday.

All weekend she talked about this concert on Monday. They had dance moves and everything.

On Monday morning she bounced out of bed and got ready real quick. Quite a feat because she normally has to be reminded several times to get dressed.

To brush her hair.

To brush her teeth.

To find her shoes. Yada, yada, yada.

When I asked how the concert went Monday evening, she said the "ringleader" was sick so they were putting it off until Wednesday. She asked me to wash her outfit so she could wear it again. She had several pink articles of clothing, but this was her "concert" outfit.

Wednesday morning was a repeat of Monday.

Wednesday evening was not.

I asked her about the concert and she just started sobbing.

The "ringleader" decided there were too many girls in the group and one, ONE, had to be voted out. Everyone voted out Cupie.

Cupie was seriously sobbing.

Not tears of disappointment.

SOBBING.

Disappointment, hurt, & confusion don't even begin to describe how she felt.

Even writing this, I feel pain for my daughter and it brings tears to my eyes because I remember what it was like. I wasn't the most popular kid growing up. In fact, I could be quite shy. (Shut up all of you who actually know me - I grew up and found my voice.)

Cupie is so outgoing, charismatic, and fun. I didn't think she would endure the growing pains I did. Naive, I know.

Silver Lining:

  1. Kids are resilient. She seems fine today. But I can't help wondering if this is "that one time" that keeps coming back to haunt her as she grows up.

  2. I didn't see the "ringleader" this morning. She's lucky. I might not have been able to hold back from wringing her neck.

  3. Even a "Pollyanna" can have an off day - see, I'm not perfect :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin