Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Taste That Creates Smiling Eyes

Let’s be frank – the economy is in the crapper. We’ve been tightening our belts despite what the administration wants us to do. It’s bad enough they are using my tax dollars to take care of the messes of other people, but don’t expect me to voluntarily put my own family at risk to “do my part to stimulate the economy” by spending any more than I need to.

I’m done with that soap box. I’ll get back to the real story.

We like to get Chinese take-out on occasion, but since we’re tightening our belts, Hubby’s decided to attempt making his favorite menu items at home.
Some of the ingredients are not found in your average, every day grocery store. Fortunately, there are some Oriental grocery stores in the area. There is an “East Oriental” grocery on Olive Blvd, but the “East East Oriental” grocery was closer to his office.

I guess that naming philosophy is on par with the 1st Baptist Church of X Community. I’ve never seen a 2nd Baptist Church of X Community (although there is/was a 3rd Baptist Church down on Grand Ave). If another Baptist Church is building in the area, it seems they find some way to make it a “1st” Baptist Church. There could be a 1st Baptist Church of X Community, 1st Riverside Baptist Church, and 1st Family of God Baptist Church all within a mile of each other. The important thing is that they are the “First”.

But I digress again.

The variety of rice was almost overwhelming. But the sheer quantity of rice was over the top. There were bags of rice as big as the 25lb Purina Dog Food bags! Everything seemed so bizarre – there were oodles of rice cookers and five pound bags of crushed red pepper (I think the bottle we have in the spice drawer is more than a year old and that’s only one ounce).

One hard to find ingredient was pure rice vinegar. After sweating it a bit, the East East Oriental grocery store did not disappoint. They had one brand of pure rice vinegar. He swears up and down that he did not pick this one out on purpose, but that it was the only one available.

First, I would like to point out the red oval with the “this-is-why-I’m-so-special” wording on it.




“Made from fine Soft Water”: I understand this. Soft water is devoid of pesky minerals that can affect the taste. But, why is soft water capitalized? Is that a brand of water? I have soft water in my house, but I don’t ask my friends if they would like a glass of “Soft Water” like I would if it were a bottle of Aquafina.

“Mild & round vinegar”: This I don’t get. What the hell is “round” vinegar?

Moving on, take a look at the actual bottle:

Now, sound out the name.

All I can say is if it is that good, maybe we shouldn’t keep it in the kitchen.



Silver lining:

  1. God Bless my husband for taking our budget seriously. Making it at home is almost always cheaper.

  2. We should all take a multi-cultural field trip once in awhile. This experience reminded me of the time I went into a Mexican grocery store, and they had fried pork rinds the size of a small child.

8 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Anonymous said...

Otafuku?!?!?!?!?! OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CherieZ

Pollyanna said...

No kidding! I couldn't get to the computer fast enough after seeing that!

Christina Marie Potter said...

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless :):):) Talk about a "happy meal" - This is way too funny.
PLEASE, when I come out to see you, I don't want Chinese. I really don't mind a repeat of Pork Chops:)

Love
THE MOM

Jenn said...

Otafuku...and smiling eyes ...hmmm...okay...not going to go there.;-p

LOL....making your own Chinese is cheaper...and often much better...

Anonymous said...

That was the funniest to date, of course I am playing catch up today but that one is funny, my first thought was the same as yours "What the hell is "round" vinegar"? and the name of it Otafuku (roll on the floor laughing). So how was the dinner? - Danny

Pollyanna said...

Not good. I think I ate like three bits. Hubby needs to practice more on getting the rice more fried.

fairgrace said...

Just stumbled upon your blog, the rice vinegar story is pretty funny. I will be looking for that brand next trip to the store!!! Do you suppose it is better than the other rice vinegars?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin