Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's a Homophone!

My five year old, Cupie, is pretty tall at four feet. This is especially apparent when you compare Cupie to her friends, Tessy & Prancer, who come from vertically challenged parents.

For this reason, there has been a running joke for quite some time referring to my kids as “Amazons”. Stinkles is actually pretty average. However, compared to Prancer (who is more than a year older), Stinkles is at least the same height, if not a smidge taller.

Because Stinkles is only three and can’t reach the light switches or the sinks, we have step stools in the bathrooms.

Okay, that's all the background information you need for the story :)

The girls’ bathroom has one sink with drawers on either side of the vanity. For whatever reason that stool ALWAYS has to be right in the middle. To get to the light switch, Stinkles will reeeeaaach over to turn on the lights.

Both girls also insist on being able to see themselves in the middle of the mirror when they are getting their hair done. This makes no sense to me – they have a five foot vanity! It goes back to some of the bathroom etiquette of separating individual activities. Just like you don’t take the middle stall in a three stall bathroom, you don’t need to stand in the middle of the vanity when there is plenty of individual space on either side of the sink.

I did this on purpose when we built the house so they each had their own drawers, outlet and vanity space – they only had to share the sink for spitting out toothpaste and washing hands. These activities take, like a minute, compared to the three hours they will spend daily getting ready to leave the house when they are teenagers. Hmmmm, share for a minute with one sink or share a vanity for three hours in order to have two sinks? Hormones, sisters, bad hair days – I think I’ll take the one minute of sharing.

Sorry about the detour.

Anyway, Cupie is too tall to stand on the stool while I’m doing her hair – I can’t see the top of her head when I’m putting in a pony tail or ribbons. Instead, she kneels on the top step (although she’s starting to get too tall for that too).

Recently, she asked me, “Why do I have to kneel on the stool?”

It had been an exasperating morning already so I sighed and said, “Because you have Amazon genes.”

Her face twisted up and she exclaimed indignantly, “No, I don’t. I gave those to Stinkles!”

She thought I meant “jeans”!

Silver lining:

1. She now occasionally stands on the floor (on her side of the vanity) to get her hair done. Baby steps, folks!

2. I told her the difference between jeans and genes. FYI – genes are instructions in the manual God used to make her. That’s how she ended up a tall, brown-eyed, cute-as-a button kid!

15 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Kenya said...

Gotta love what kids say sometimes.

Lillian Robinson said...

My daughter's four girls share one bathroom, one sink, one vanity, one tub... I'm glad I don't live there!

rachel... said...

I have three little girl heads of hair to do and it's not fun, no matter where it takes place (often in front of the front door as the school bus pulls up!)! So glad you find the adorable silver lining in this! :) Super cute blog!

myra said...

Sounds like my 6 year old she had to have her own mirror in her room and the stool has to stay in front of the sink we only have one for the house lol but she is like me short yes I will say the we are short lol
I call her my little Diva or drama queen.

Unknown said...

I love when kids are literal...makes me realize what Im actually saying :)

tinkalicious said...

just found you via martini mom, I think we might just be twins separated at birth!LOL!

- Jan - said...

It's a really simple way to explain 'genes' to your five year old. Got to remember it when my daughter is older :)

Anonymous said...

That was great blog. Kids come up with some of the best analogies. - Danny

Kat said...

My kids have Amazon genes as well. Daddy is 6'6"

Rae said...

I love your blog! I am so glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment. You now have another follower. Your blog is well written and funny too. RAE

Mark Kreider said...

We have a dear friend, Lucy, who as a mother and an adult has stretched almost all the way to 4' 8" We say that she is "wise beyond her height".

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say that anyone is short. They're just built low to the ground for speed and accuracy.

Jenn said...

I swear my children have Amazon genes too...inherited from their dad of course...although the older two have leveled off some for now!

Unknown said...

Amazon genes - Amazon jeans! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

Anonymous said...

Very cute post :)
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

http://confessionsofasinner.wordpress.com/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin