Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Maytag Repair Man - Part 2

Can you hear the alleluia chorus???????

I HAVE A WORKING DRYER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long before the dryer went kaput, we had started taking the washer & dryer off the pedestals that raised the openings to waist level. We had managed to get the pedestal out from under the dryer, but then ran out of steam (story of our lives, I swear). While the dryer was out of commission (and out of the laundry room), I wanted to get the washer off its pedestal - if anything deserves to be on a pedestal, it's me! My husband recently had hernia surgery and can't lift anything heavier than 25 lbs so his assistance in lifting a 100 lb wash machine is virtually nil. I wiggled the washer back & forth until I got it about half way off the pedestal.

Then, I started the "tip & swing" method to try to get it onto the floor. This was not working because the metal pan under the pedestal kept moving with each swing. Turns out there is a metal flap on the bottom of the washer catching on the pedestal frame; which, in turn, was making the metal pan move. Good thing my de-herniated husband was there to hold the flap while I tipped & swung the wash machine one more time. Finally, the washer was on the floor! I moved the pedestal to our room so I could stand on it and be worshipped as the laundry godess.

I was getting the pedestal thing out of the way because once the dryer was back in the laundry room, it would have been much harder to remove. Our neighbor, Emerson, was coming back over to assist with the dry repair, but he had to wait until his daughter was tucked into bed for the night. I wanted to have as much done as possible so we didn't keep him too long - it was a work night after all.

The dryer part arrived this past Saturday - I had been without a working dryer for almost three weeks!!!

For the most part, Hubby and I got the belt back on the drum & looped everything back into place. After sorting through the little numbered & labeled snack baggies of screws, I attached the back panel. Emerson arrived and I let him mostly take over. Of course, he had the part replaced & the dryer back together lickety-split. We pushed the dryer into the laundry room.

Dryer plugged in - check!
Press "Start" - check!
Drum turns - CRASH!

We had plugged it in, pressed start & nothing happened. At least the drum turned before!!! Emerson took off that back panel to check how we had looped the belt back in & discovered that we had forgotten to hook up the power supply to the motor. Duh, nothing is going to work without a motor.

Power supply to motor - check!
Dryer plugged in - check!
Press "Start" - check!
Drum turns - check!
Dryer produces heat - CRASH!

I almost cried. Emerson took the top of the dryer apart to get to the control board we replaced and found the wiring harness carrying power to the control board was also damaged. He fiddled around with it so there was a good connection and closed her back up.

Dryer plugged in - check!
Press "Start" - check!
Drum turns - check!
Dryer produces heat - check!

Silver lining:
1. I CAN DRY MY CLOTHES WITH A MACHINE!!!! I don't think there is anything else to say.

2 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Now I know who to call when my 25-30 year old Maytag does go Kaput.. Laundry Goddess Melania!! Way to go! Glad to hear you'll have dry clothes without hanging them all over the house now! : )
Manda

Anonymous said...

If you lived in Wisconsin you could have hung them outside to dry!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin