Friday, July 17, 2009

I Hear Voices

My parents live 500 miles away from me, and 99% of the time they are not in the room with me and my kids. To this end, I don’t understand why I keep hearing their voices when I’m yelling at my kids.


This happens any time I hear the following phrases:

Turn that down.

Don’t make me come over there.


Grouschmockit! (This means move it)

Put your shoes away.

I’m sick & tired . . .

Do you want me to turn this car around?

Stop that crying or I’ll give you something to cry about.

Because I said so.

Turn off some of these lights, the house is lit up like a Polish chapel.

I’m on the phone!



One time I was on the phone with The Mom, when I heard the phone phrase. I said, “Did you just say that?”

She said, “No, honey. That was you”

Then it hit me. Oh, crap! I’ve turned into my parents.

Silver lining:

1. Sissy & I aren’t too screwed up so I guess I’m not scarring the kids for life with these phrases.

2. Grouschmockit is actually endearing. This one has been in the family for generations. I’d heard both my grandma & great-grandma use it. I don’t know how to actually spell it or what language it is – my guess is either German or Russian.

19 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Small City Scenes said...

Oh ain't it the truth. It is frightening actually. How about "don't counterdict me"---spooky. And they knew ALL the answers too. MB

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head, while I do not have children myself I have a niece and nephews and I hear myself saying phrases I always told myself "if I had kids I would never say that" well I dont have kids but I say that. My sister does the same thing...she is constantly saying things our parents said to us and we turned out ok, right M? - Danny

Pat said...

I often used to hear my mom's voice coming out of my mouth...many years ago when my sons still lived at home. Now I sometimes hear her voice coming out of the 2 older ones as they talk to their little boys. LOL!

You struck a chord in many of us.

Naturegirl said...

Oh yes we do become our parents when we have kids and our kids then grow up to be us when they have kids! The circle of life! :)

Mo said...

How does that happen?

Anonymous said...

Becoming your parents doesn't have to wait for your own kids. I hear my parents when instructing my younger siblings (>?<)

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

Thanks for checking out my Sky Watch post. I love your writing style! Have a great weekend. xoxo from The Prairie.

ProdigalWife said...

That's very funny. Well, not really... We're all there, aren't we? (Actually, sometimes I wish I could be more like my parents--I would never have said to them some of the things I hear!)

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, my goodness. We have all been cloned. I heard all of this when I was a kiddo except the italicized one. I got the English version.

Thanks for making me laugh.

The Mom said...

You forgot one: SHUT THE DOOR! WERE YOU BORN IN A BARN?

AND, when they become teenagers, you will have a whole new set of voices. I'll just sit back and wait to hear about that one:)

MockSnell, is the word I used for "get going". I'm not sure why, when or how I used Grouschmockit - perhaps I made the word up or it could be a swear word for all I know. However, if you are using the word, I must have used it a lot:):):)

Were you thinking of Grousch-Stroodles a German dough noodle?

Anyhow, it's always a great laugh when you hear your children say, OH GOSH, I'M JUST LIKE MY PARENTS!
Frightening isn't it?????

Unknown said...

This post has me in giggles :D
I'm not a parent,but I have my Mom's voice in my head quite often too :)

And wherever that phrase comes from, I doubt it's German.
Or it's a dialect which I've never heard. Wouldn't surprise me, if it was already used by your grand parents, now that I think of it :)

The Mom said...

As I'm sitting at my desk I'm thinking of what that word was - it's not Grouschmockit - it's ROUSEMOCKIT - to me mean't "get away or get a move on". MOCKSNELL - mean't "hurry up" -

Well now we all can use the correct words when speaking to our children:) Although, I'm not sure these are correct - I'm mean, my grandparents may have been swearing at us kids for all I know (and we couldn't understand them:)

"Oh DAMN the Torpedo's!!!!!!!!!!!" When will you remember that one?

Unknown said...

OK, def, German.

The second one is "Mach schnell"

And the first one could be "Raus mit Dir" (out with you).
Or maybe some sort of Bavarian dialect "Raus machet" (not actually any sort of correct spelling for the second word, but that could be it ;) )

So,nope,your grand parents haven't been secretly swearing *grin*

Pollyanna said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you Nicole.

At least there really is some basis for these phrases - Hubby thinks I'm nuts.

It's kind of like the telephone game, the pronounciation has changed over the generations.

Well, now that I've been corrected by The Mom, I'll try to remember not to add the G.

I had forgotten about "mach schnell" - I need to add that to the arsenal.

Can't wait for the day I hear my kids yell at their kids with these two. What a weird "tradition" to pass on.

Unknown said...

*Snicker*

Do you know what region your grandparents came from?
:D

Pollyanna said...

No idea. Mom?

Also, I just tried to look up "Raus machet" and came up with this phrase used in Oskar Schindler: the Untold Account of His Life, which I think is the basis for Schindler's List:

"Raus, raus, macht schnell" which means get off quickly.

I wonder if "rousmocket" is really "raus macht" and means almost the same thing as "macht schnell".

Unknown said...

Means "Out,out,...hurry up!"
:)

It might be some dialect for "Macht Euch raus"
often used for kids to get out out of the house / out of the way, sort of like "you (like in you folks) get out".

Interesting :D

(And my word verification is "hesse" - makes me wonder, grin :D)

The Mom said...

My grandparents are of German and Russian decent. Imigrated to America before the war. I think my grandpa was between 12-15.

Thanks Nicole - I didn't want my kids to think I didn't know what I was talking about (of course most kids think that anyway). You have clarified I was using the words correctly (and, I'm so glad my grandparents weren't swearing at us:):)- YIPPIE

Unknown said...

Glad I could be of help *grin*

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin