Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts - Housecleaning Edition

randomtuesday



I've never been known as an awesome housekeeper.

As such, for this Random Tuesday Thoughts, I'm sharing some of my housekeeping deficiencies. Hopefully, you see a little bit of yourself. If not, at least you know you aren't the worst housekeeper out there. I am.

Onward!

I think I've sunk to a new low. It's bad enough I use an electric sweeper to get the big stuff because it would be waaaaaay too much work to use a broom and then have to bend down to fill the dust pan. But just today there was a piece of popcorn that just wouldn't sweep up so I stepped on it to make it flatter. Sucked it right up! I think my Bad Housekeeping rating for "Biggest Slacker" went up a tick.

I hate it when you refill a plastic soda bottle with water at the refrigerator. I know it's icy cold and all that jazz, but inevitably the bottle moves and a spray of water goes everywhere. I'm usually the one who has to clean it up. And dang it, if there isn't some bending down to get the entire front and the puddle on the floor.

Changing light bulbs bites. Every time I get up there to change one, I'm reminded that I haven't dusted the fixtures in awhile. They mock me. They say, "You're already up here. Come on, just a quick flick of a dust rag?" Don't they know I didn't plan ahead and bring a dust rag with me? I'll be darned if I'm going to climb allllll the way down the three foot step stool, go get a dust rag and then climb allllll the way back up only to have dust filter down into my hair, my eyes, my nose, etc.

Speaking of dusting and mocking, the shelves in the stair way do that to me too. Most shelves I can't really see the tops of, but the ones in the stair way you can't help to see. Occasionally, I'll run my hand along the edges, as I'm going down but inevitably the end of the shelves get too high and I can't reach anymore. At some point, I'm sure the end with the most dust will carry enough weight to tip the shelf and the dust will all slide off. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I'm beating myself up over this.

Seems no one understands that stuff on the stairs means you're supposed to pick it up when you go up. I guess I'm guilty of this too. I can't tell you how often I snag the shoes I want to wear off the stairs. I'll get off my high horse on this one.

Well that's all for now. There's lots of other junk rolling around in my brain, but I'll save it for another time. Now head over to Keely's to see who else has those random, free-wheeling thoughts just pouring out of their heads.

Silver lining:

  1. I was totally guilted into dusting the light fixtures & those shelves after writing this.

  2. After dusting, I was on a cleaning bender. I went ahead and cleaned out the fridge by finishing off the bottle of wine that was sitting there. Impressive cleaning skills, I know.

27 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

I am Harriet said...

Wow- you actually got a lot done! Personally, I use a dog for the popcorn clean-up :)
Have a great Tuesday!
http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/08/facebooks-help-wanted-what-not-to-do.html

Kat said...

I will vacuum over a popcorn kernel 50 times before I give up and pick it up. OR I will pick it up and put it in better suction range. I AM THAT LAZY!

Miss. C said...

You are a woman after my own heart! I have even resulted to the shop vac at times!

Brandy@YDK said...

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog which made me stop by your blog and lmao. so thanks for that!

Meaghan said...

Nice job :)

Thanks for visiting my blog! Im so sorry to hear about your aunt...cancer sucks big time! My best friend lost her mom to ovarian cancer.

did you notice I have a non profit called Spirit Jump? Our members send cards and small gifts to people battle cancer in hopes of lifting their spirits. Maybe you would like to join and send some cards in memory of your aunt.

Email me anytime or visit our website to learn more www.spiritjump.org email: meaghan@spiritjump.org

Have a GREAT week and I hope you catch the show tonight 7-9EST www.wafs.tv

~Meaghan

Missy said...

Nice... Sounds like my kind of housecleaning, polishing off a bottle of wine!

MIssy

Bobby G said...

That piece of popcorn, I kick it under the stove...I WIN! lol thanks fro stoppin by the Gspot!

Michelle@DomesticationoftheSingleGirl said...

Silver lining # 2 = Excellent work.

:D

Toni said...

Perfect! I'm glad you came by my blog, it caused me to come by your blog and find out that there are other people out there like me!

It also reminded me that I need to go to the store and buy vaccuum cleaner bags!

Have a great Tuesday!

Buggys said...

Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I would rather live in the dark a few days than endure the guilt of the disgusting dusty light fixture. I hate doing that!

Mad Mom said...

oooh, you sound like me!! I'm not a housekeeper. My husband does that stuff. Yes, I'm lucky. I decided early on during my maternity leave that if I were a SAHM I'd be sitting around on my big butt eating bon-bons Peg Bundy style... needless today, I'm commenting from work! :)

Mikki Black said...

I can't wait to finish working so I can go home and clean out my fridge, too!

Andrea said...

I saw some awesome steam cleaner the other day lol. *I really need to get out more :)*

The Crazy Coxes said...

It doesn't sound like you are slackin at all. With all that cleaning, it sounds like you are an overachiever.

I admit to stepping on stuff to flatten it for the vacuum, or how about bending over and picking it up to feed the vacuum but being totaly unable to bend over, pick it up and take it to the trash.

Love the random!

Suzy said...

A cleaning bender! Now that is fun-nee! I despise changing lightbulbs as well. I've tried to convince the Hubs that it should be HIS job since it involve the Really Really Tall Ladder but so far, no luck on that one....
Sheesh, what do I have to do to convince him...maybe fall off the ladder. Great. It appears to be my only hope!

Unknown said...

Damn! Now I'm going to have to go clean that light fixture that hangs over the kitchen table and has a serious dust coat on it!

just dropping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully I can afford to have a cleaning lady - but sadly I can only afford her twice a month - so in the meantime I am on my own - I would have most likely followed Kat on the popcorn kernel and of course the vacuum would then would have probably spit it back out at me, so I have either kicked it under the stove like Bobby G or actually picking it up - but never would I have been creative enough to smash into smaller pieces so it would vacuum up. Good job M, thanks for the tips - I need to go buy wine! - Danny

plainolebob said...

well now you know i don't clean nuthin, ceptin if bess has been gone a few days, then i rush like hell to get it done fore she gits back, dustin, yeah bout whore out that leave blower gittin that job done, damn broke 2 lamps too, and blew her littl whaty not off a shelf. dont dust with that thing no more.

Mike said...

I have a porch light that has been burned out for a year! LMAO! I am glad I am not the only one!

Jill said...

OH goodness! This is a sore subject for me. I am sick and tired of cleaning up after messy messy kids. I just changed a light bulb the other day and wound up cleaning AlL the ceiling fans in the house! UGGGG!

Megan said...

wahahahahaha, i hate housework. I may clean the light fixtures once a year, if they are luck. And dusting... I only do that once a month or if I know someone is coming over. I am still not over housework trying to kill me!

Stephanie said...

New here and thought I would comment! We keep house in the exactly the same way:) Love this post!

Casey said...

I'll do you one more.. I smushed a graham cracker today to get it to fit in the dust buster. See? You're not that bad.

plainolebob said...

sorry bout misspellin where an such had an o insted of the , pleas forgive me, bess caught it and was madder a chicken with the egg atuck

Krystal said...

You are like my soul sister when it comes to cleaning. I HATE it more than anything in the world!! The only thing I hate more is my swiffer wet jet because it doesn't pick everything up like it says it does. Yes, I have done the white sock test!!! And as far as dusting goes, i only do that when the MIL comes over...that's why the kids have singulair for! LOL

Sue said...

I'm trying to get people to read my blog, and I saw your comment and your blog...so glad I checked it out. You did make me laugh. Did you know that if you never turn off the ceiling fan, you will never see the dust that is growing there?

Big Mama Cass said...

LMFAO!!!! Fantastic Blog!!! I may have to follow behind you and post my own terrible err i mean my own good housecleaning skills *grin*

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin