Friday, May 1, 2009

Oh, The Irony

I was really in the mood for something salty. Not just in the mood, I was craving something salty. I grabbed a dollar out of my desk drawer and made a bee-line for the break room

Once I got there, I had to make a few decisions.

First off, how much salt did I “need”?

Pretzels or Potato Chips? Both very salty, but chips just sounded better.

There was more than one type of chip. I rolled my eyes and once again had to make a decision.

Baked Lays or Regular? Baked Lays were healthier, the even had the check mark indicating the lower fat grams – ooooo, I bet that influences a lot of people. There are other things in the machine with check marks next to their prices, but I don’t care. I want what I want and no check mark is going to influence me to get to choose animal crackers over mini sandwich cremes.

I really should have been responsible and gotten the baked chips, but my fingers were possessed. They punched in the number for the regular chips completely over-riding my brain. Kind of like men – they often let body parts have more control than their brains.

Go back to my desk or sit in the break room? There were a couple magazines sitting on one of the tables. I thought to myself, “You know what? I don’t take breaks and sometime work at my desk while eating my lunch. I’m going to sit down, read a magazine & enjoy my chips.” There was even a little high-pitched “hmh” and an indignant head nod at the end.

I sat down, opened my chips and savored that first one. I enjoyed reading a couple of short articles before I had to tip the bag and shake the last few crumbs in my mouth – you can’t let a good thing go to waste. I got up to throw away the bag and head back to my desk. I closed the magazine and started to put it back on the stack.

My mouth dropped open as I did this. The name of the magazine:

WEIGHT WATCHERS MAGAZINE


Niiiice, eat your salty, greasy, fat-laden chips while reading a diet magazine. It’s like ordering a diet coke to go with your Big Mac & fries.

Silver Lining:
  1. No one was in the break room so they didn’t see me reading the WW Mag while eating those chips.

  2. No one was in the break room to see the final crumb fall into my mouth – it’s not very lady like and a little on the unprofessional side.

  3. I totally enjoyed those chips!

7 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Anonymous said...

Everyone is entitled to "treat" themselves to a "snack" of their choice once in a while. - Danny

Anonymous said...

THE MOM said:

I would have gone back for another bag:):):):)

Lillian Robinson said...

I believe that flipping the pages of the magazine and having to lift it back into the rack probably burned the additional fat calories. And fat does not cause tooth decay!

- Jan - said...

Ahhh ... just enjoy yourself :)

Jenn said...

It is okay to indulge once in a while. Sometimes we crave salty things because believe it or not...our body needs salt. OKAY...not as much as we'd sometimes like to eat ...but we do need it!!

(That is my story I am sticking to it ;-) )

I am not a huge fan of salty things...I do not cook with nor do I salt my food. However every once in awhile I crave a bag of chips...for the salt...and yes I go after them!!

I just hope you enjoyed it! Jenn.

Bretthead said...

Great story! Makes me want to get some ice cream after I run today.

By the way, I got you back. You have won the Sexy Blogger award. Come and get it.

Back to Jenn said...

Okay, I hope that this qualifies for your "IL" reader. I have not been reading these at work so that I could read them at home. Problem is I am never on the computer at home as I do not spend much time here sitting down. However, I am on forced no exercise due to a back injury, so I have been doing more sitting.

I always enjoy reading your stories. We should do lunch sometime soon, maybe when Angie comes in next. I cannot remember if she is coming in this month or not. I know when she comes in June I will be at her house is GA, so that will not work.

Take care

Jenn

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin