Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy

Ha, ha - I can see you all bobbing your heads to that high quality Wiggles song. Well, I can't really see you, but I still know you're doing it.

Anyway, we LOVE fruit salad. It's not the kind your Aunt Matilda used to make with all the corn syrup, way too many canned peach slices, and was just plain slimy. No, we make ours with grapes (green & red), pineapple, strawberries, watermelon, apples, bananas, and sometimes oranges.

Hubby was in charge of getting eggs and bread. He came home with five hundred bags of stuff - that's a lot of bread. My we-can't-be-blowing-money-at-the-grocery-store-just-because-it-looked-good face changed very quickly once I realized the makings for fruit salad made up some of those bags.

My kids recognize the ingredients as well. Apparently, we weren't moving fast enough on cutting up fruit because Stinkles reached up and rolled the watermelon right off the counter; thus, splitting it in half. She was just kick starting the process, I guess.

After letting the split watermelon sit on the counter for 1/2 hour (just long enough to make a watery mess requiring at least ten Bounty paper towels to clean up), Hubby cut up one half for the fruit salad. We only needed half, and Hubby made a comment about just cutting up the rest and sticking it in the fridge.

I said, "Or you could just get a spoon."

I WAS KIDDING!

Next thing I know, he's grabbed a spoon and the salt shaker, plunked his a** in a chair, and proceeded to eat the other half while watching Grease.

Take a quick detour with me for a second. What's up with salt on watermelon? This is the goofiest thing I've ever heard of - sounds like a great way to screw up a good watermelon. Although Hubby doesn't understand putting cheese on everything either. I guess we're even.

Does anyone find it amusing my husband was watching Grease? I do.

So there he is enjoying every morsel of his watermelon and its salty goodness, when he asks Cupie to bring him a fork. I raised an eyebrow.

"What? I need something with a little more bite. The watermelon kind of slides around on the spoon, and I can't get my usual Hubby-sized (aka fist sized) bites in my mouth." It seems the watermelon kept slipping off the spoon and landing in the "bowl".

Cupie was more than willing to help him out. I'm sure she was hoping to get the spoon.

Eventually, the juice started getting in the way. He couldn't see the bottom of the proverbial bowl to be sure he was gouging out the red part instead of the white part. Also, the juice was becoming a potential hazard. According to Bill Cosby, salty juice in the eye could blind you for life (or was that soap?). Not to mention the damage I'd inflict on him due to spilling juice on the furniture and/or carpet.

A solution was conceived!

No, it did not involve dumping the juice in a sink.

It involved a straw.

Cupie ran to get one. This time she "benefited" from this action. Hubby was so generous, he let her drink the juice using the straw. Yum, salty, nearly tasteless watermelon juice. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

She did come back for seconds and thirds. The third time, she exclaimed, "Oh yay! There's more juice!" Sad.

As "Hopelessly Devoted To You" was almost over, Hubby finished the watermelon and was very sad about the whole thing. I think the whole event is just plain sad.


Silver Lining:

1. I didn't have room in the refrigerator for an extra container of watermelon. Hubby solved that problem - he's just so full of solutions isn't he?

2. Fruit salad - need I say more.

24 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

Ziggy Stardust said...

That was a cute story. Now I want some fruit salad.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Fantastic story! Definitely going by the Sprouts sometime today to see what sorts of Summer fruits are in. Thank you!

Hubby said...

In my defense - I certainly didn't CHOOSE to watch Grease. One of the kids had already asked to watch it, and if I wanted to plunk my butt down in my comfy chair while I devoured half a watermelon, then that's what I had to watch.

Lillian Robinson said...

First, I love that song! One of my grands used to be a big Wiggles fan.

Hubby salts his watermelon too. Why pick a sweet melon if you're going to salt it? He eats all melons with salt! Must be a man thing...

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Sunday! I am making way through all of the comments I received when I was featured on SITS. It really is a great SITSahood.
Thank you so much for visiting me and have a blessed day!

Julie Donahue said...

I agree with you about salt on watermelon! What's that all about! At least your hubby is a good sport! :)

Rita said...

I vote for salt. Salt on watermelon, cantalope, oranges and apples.

Mark Kreider said...

Had me laughing the whole way! Good additions: dried cranberry (or dried any fruit) and walnuts or pecans, lemon juice and a tad of ground (or fresh) ginger... stir... trust me.

Marina@EBMR said...

Such a beautiful pic with hubby n dottie sharing.....yummy yummy yummy yummy fruit salad!

PS Please hop over and leave a comment to help with this contest I'm in(ends midnight today)- http://energizerbunnysmommyreports.blogspot.com/2009/07/top-10-reasons-i-am-excited-to-stay.html

Mikki Black said...

Oh, my mom did the salt and watermelon thing. Ew. Never did get that. But, hey, I eat my cottage cheese with sugar. We're all a tad weird.

But, the straw?!?! Oh, my. I actually saw that and thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" I may be in serious watermelon trouble now.

Anonymous said...

Where's the watermelon? - Danny

Krystal said...

Great! Now I want fruits. I hate it that my husband hates fruits and vegetables and all things healthy and unfortunately has passed it on to our children.

Jill said...

Great story..
I am going to have that song from the ever dreaded Wiggles in my head all night. THANKS! lol


I signed your follower list.. come by and do the same..
JIll

Kristina P. said...

The straw is ingenious!

And I totally eat watermelon with salt. I don't know why, exactly.

Brooke said...

lol! i have to admit though, that i'm a watermelon salter too.

and while it looks like your hubby is trying to defend himself, i suspect he just wanted to see Olivia Newton John in those tight black pants at the end of the movie.

RYC: crazy how different areas are - we're currently on a 1/2 acre and hate it. i'm not a big fan of having neighbors up in my business

vanilla said...

What's up with salt on watermelon?

Sweetness. It brings out the flavor!

Meg said...

A man who isn't afraid to watch Grease... sigh.

And I love salt on watermelon. Savory and sweet... kinda like cheese and fruit! Fun post :)

Unknown said...

A Really adorable story. You have a lovely blog! Stopping in from SITS

Unknown said...

Cute! I loved the picture of them both at the watermelon.

RubyRed said...

This story was awsome it is sooo much like our household thanks for the story enjoyed it!

JennyMac said...

Love it...and I just read in Martha Stewart a way to use 1/2 a watermelon by filling it with vodka and inserting a keg tap. Seriously.

Government Guru said...

How do you customize your webpage like that?
http://www.obamasbadplan.blogspot.com

Julie Link said...

too funny...like your silver lining! thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Pam said...

Hee hee, I always ate salt on my watermelon when I was a little girl--that's just what we did at my house. (Maybe a regional thing??) I don't anymore though! Cute story! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin