Monday, October 26, 2009

No Fail Rice Krispies - NOT!

I haven't had a good kitchen calamity in awhile. And it happens to be your lucky day (but definitely not mine).

I've got a kitchen calamity story for you all.

As luck would have it the grandparents called Saturday morning and offered to take the girls on a "Haunted Hayride" about an hour away. We were invited to an "Alley" party - which is like a block party, but takes place in the alley behind our homes. We would bring the kids, but it is really is more fun when you don't have to watch out for small appendages getting too close to a bon-fire. Can you say, "AWESOME!" (all sing-song like) - we could hang out with our neighbors and friends for a few hours and not feel bad because we stuck the kids with a babysitter!

It wasn't until four in the afternoon that I realized we needed to bring some sort of food to the party.

Brownies took an hour.

By the time I pulled together ingredients for cookies and baked them, I'd still be at an hour.

I didn't have an hour. We were planning on being there in 45 minutes.

I found some marshmallows and rice krispies in the pantry. I could tell there weren't going to be enough marshmallows to make a full pan of rice krispie treats. I figured I could just melt the marshmallows and pour in enough rice krispies until the consistency was right.

And I thought I would make up for the lack of quantity with quality. By quality, I meant chocolate. Chocolate chips mixed with marshmallow, butter & rice krispies, where could I go wrong?

Apparently, I could go horribly wrong.

I didn't want to bring over the glass dish I initially put the treats in so I started taking a knife to them in order to transfer them to a large paper plate.

I jammed the knife in and a hunk of treat zinged out of the dish, nearly taking out an eye. Thinking maybe just the edge was crunchy, I continued to try to cut the treats.

Um, yah. It wasn't just the edges.

The entire batch of rice krispie treats were crunchy. And not in a good way. It was like rock candy kind of crunchy. And painful.

I needed a new plan.

I didn't have a new plan.

There was nothing else in the pantry, to take at a moments notice. I didn't even have an unopened bag of chips.

Chips!

The market is just across the way, I would get chips at the market and then whiz off to the party!

So that we didn't have to come back into the house, Hubby's bright idea was to make up our drinks (which he was going to hold on to - there would be no drinking & driving), we'd swing by the market and then get to the party.

Mmmmm, amaretto and 7-up in my big insulated mug. Sprite is preferable, but we had 7-up so I was going with the flow. Hubby grabbed an insulated bag and filled it with six "Shocktop" beers and we were ready.

I put my big mug on the center console of my car and the sack-o-beer on the passenger floor. Telling Hubby none of this, I went back in the house.

Hubby got in the car, on the passenger side, and knocked the mug filled with amaretto and 7-up deliciousness into the drivers seat. The lid popped off and the seat was now filled with amaretto and 7-up deliciousness.

A smarter person would have started sucking the liquid up with his or her lips, but I ran inside for the shop vac. By the time I got it and an extension cord and made my way back out to the car, my sponge of a seat had completely absorbed all the amaretto and 7-up deliciousness. Like the left over bones after a body has been dissolved in an acid bath, the ice cubes remained.

It was a sad day in Mudville, folks.

Silver Lining:

  1. Hubby went to the market and came back with a six pack of Mic Ultra and chips.

  2. We had a good time at the party, but were home by 8:00 because we were whooped from all the earlier running around.

  3. We were home by 8:00 like old, married people. But I'm happy to be an old, married person as long as I'm old and married to Hubby. Cheers, to gray hairs and rocking chairs (neither of which I have yet)!

8 People Laughed Along With Me, Won't You?:

anymommy said...

Oh, the pain of the spilled yummy drink. You are diligent. I probably would have given up about the time I realized there wasn't time to make brownies.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing with you. Hopefully we won't have any party fouls this Saturday. Love Sissy.

plainolebob said...

Polly,
Yes yes yes, a real Bob moment for some one else, cept if it woulda been my last beer I woulda cried, them rice krisry critters woulda been fun, I woulda took em and watched em try and bite into em, sat back and have a laff. lol
You know me though.lol
BIG HUGS

rachel... said...

I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to figure out why your treats turned out so CRISPY!

And I hope the interior of your car isn't going to permanently smell like amaretto. That could be awkward.

Corrie Howe said...

Oh, no!! I don't blame you for coming home early. I'm sorry about the spilt Amaretto too. Boooo hoooo.

Sue said...

Don't you just feel like putting your jammies on and giving up when an evening starts like that? Oh...no fail rice krispy treat recipe-check my blog archives:)

Sue

Sunita Mohan said...

So... these things dont happen only to me! Very mean of me to say so, I know, but that's definitely a silver lining in my book.
Great to hear you had a fantastic time, though.

Jenn Erickson said...

What a day! I love your "looking on the bright side" approach to life! I was commenting on SITS this morning and noticed your member name "Pollyanna" and just had to pay a visit at your blog...I just new there were good things in store. Congrats on your blog awards! I love your profile info, especially the nicknames for your kids! Glad to have found you!

Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin